My Family Loves This Tiramisu Recipe
This gorgeous photo of tiramisu is used under a creative commons licence from Peter Alfred Hess
Our Favourite Recipe
Tiramisu is a lot like a trifle. It is a layered dessert of custard and coffee soaked sponge fingers sprinkled liberally with grated chocolate. The traditional recipe uses brandy but I love to use Kahlua.
- Serves: 6 - 8
- Prep Time:
- Total Time:
- 3 eggs separated
- 3 tablespoons castor sugar
- 250g mascarpone
- About 12 Savoiardi (sponge finger) biscuits or as many as needed to layer the bottom of your serving dish twice.
- 150ml strong coffee
- 4 tablespoons Kahlua
- 125g dark chocolate, grated
- Beat the egg yolks with the sugar
- Fold in the mascarpone a tablespoon at a time.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the egg yolk mixture.
- Arrange a layer of the sponge fingers in a dish
- Mix the coffee and Kahlua together and with a pastry brush, brush half of it over the fingers. Alternatively, dip the sponge fingers into the coffee mixture one at a time until covered.
- Cover them with half the mascarpone mixture, then sprinkle over half the grated chocolate.
- Repeat with a second layer, finishing with the grated chocolate.
- Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.
This decadent dessert looks sensational in a beautiful glass serving bowl. If you can get a square or rectangular dish this works best but any shape works well.
A Trifle Bowl is Perfect to Present Tiramisu
This version uses zabaglione and cream